Monday, September 12, 2011

Petal(ed) Flower: Tutorial

I have made these flowers, and others, for a long time. I am not very good at explaining myself so if you have any questions you are more then welcome to message me with them!

Petal Flower

These are pretty easy. The hardest part is the folding, if you are good at origami then this will be pie. You need the following.



  • Fabric
  • Thread
  • Needle
  • Scissors
  • Straight Pins


Cut your fabric into squares, for this flower I used 3x3inch squares. I used 12, but 10 is the best and a little easier to work with. You can play and will have to play with size and amount depending on the type of fabric.

Fold the fabric in half, corner to opposite corner.

Fold the triangle in half on the longest side again.

Separate the fold and bring the corner to the opposite corner. Flip over so you fold is facing down and repeat on the other side.

With your folds now grab the middle corner, should only have 2 (folded) pieces of fabric on this side. Fold it so the flat part in align with the other (where you can see in between my middle and pointer finger.)


Put a straight pin though to hold. Now if you have folded everything right you will see 5 folds on one side and 2 on the other. Once all are folded, gather together.

Take you scissors and cut off the pointed tip along the straight line the folds create.

Next you are going to string you petals on to your tread. Make sure they are all facing the same way for you will have backwards petals. It doesn't matter if you have the 2 fold side or the 5 fold side facing you, just make sure they are all threaded on the same.
Once all the petals are strung you are going to take your two thread ends and tie them so your petals pull into a circle. I pull the petals into a circle and use a pin to hold it while I tie. It helps... believe me.

Your finished! Just add a button or something to the center and glue or sew onto you project!



Sorry about the change in size and color at the end there. My camera battery went out on me and I had to use my phone. I should really use my good camera for these things, but again I don't have the space and taking pictures with one hand on a big DSLR and trying to hold/sew things together isn't fun.
If you have issues with your petals flipping while you are trying to tie you can use a small dab of fabric or hot glue in between the petals to keep them in place.


These are one of the flowers I showed Herbert how to make. I don't know if she remembers but we made a few.  The blue and white striped was mine made with a textured fabric for another project you will see soon. The blue with the brown button was the first one she made. It was made with denim which was NOT the right fabric with her to start with. There was a lot of cursing and me helping but she liked it in the end. The red (hers) and the purple (mine) you see were made with felt. It was a little more difficult,we only used 2x2 squares and 6 petals because it was thicker fabric. Just to show that you need to play a little with different fabrics. The more petals and larger the squares, the bigger the flower and can be different to tie.


Have fun! Hope you make some for your cute projects!


- Brit



I linked up at the following...
{The Creative Spark}
{What I Made Wednesday}

1 comment: