Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas {Decorating}: Tree

I love decorating for Christmas, and while the snow never works to my schedule, I still love being with my family. This year I have been working most of the time and barley got my Christmas decorations up. I got a few and the ones I have crafted have taken me longer due to time issues. ): It hasn't been a very merry Christmas to me. But I have Thursday and Friday off so hopefully I can finish things up and get a few gifts bought and made. {Hey I can dream right?} Then I work Christmas Eve and Christmas morning. Once I am out of there at 1pm it is home to load everyone into the car and a 2 hour drive to be with our families. I will let you know how that goes.
But for now let me introduce you to my tiny loved tree. 


When I got married and I was getting ready to leave for Japan, My Nana and Mother took it upon themselves to get me everything I need to decorate for Christmas. Mom gave me some old things of hers that I liked, and then also went shopping together to get me a tree and ornaments. All I was asked was what color I wanted to do my christmas tree in. My mother already knew I wanted a black tree, so I told them I was thinking silver.... for everything. They came home with bags full of ornaments and a small 4ft black tree. I loved it and I was so excited for Christmas. 
When The time came and I put up our tree, that was all I had. The tree and a few other decorations, blah.


Not a very festive Christmas. But it was home for us, the stockings and gifts we didn't get until almost 3 days before Christmas. This gifts under the tree we actually opened later that day since my mom told us too, they were my Hubby's train and my village (the start to it). We received another box Christmas eve with other gifts and cookies. <3 Oh how I miss going to the beach Christmas day.

Anyway, this year I changed my colors. I felt my tree was kinda bland just silver. Plus this year I con't not find many silver items! So I added red, white, and black. I have no black on the tree other then the tree itself but I like the pops of red on it.
  

  
Some of the ornaments I was given our first Christmas.
I love that deer.

  

My favorite decorations are the homemade ones.
These 3 were made by my Grandmother who let me pick out some from our craft sale stuff. I choose more of the crochet ones because her making those is one of my favorite memories. Sitting at the table with them, container of Elmer glue, pins and foam objects. 
The same idea of how I made some crafted trees that I will share later.

The mouse I chose because it reminded me of my Pap. So many memories in one little object, I love it. 2 main ones stick out. My Pap drove truck since he was 14, his handle on the CB was House Mouse. I LOVED riding in the truck with him. And the pattern on the mouse matches a pair of shorts he use to wear. 
I miss that man.


This one is special to me in a whole other way. I was lucky enough to have meet my Great Grandmother, I wasn't old enough to remember everything about her but I remember her. Stories about her just stick to me and I love hearing family talk about her. And while my grandmother had a lot of siblings, To me my grandmother is almost a complete chip off of her. This hat was made by her and it was one of the only ones my Grandmother had. She knew I loved top hats and pull it out just for me. 




Yes, My tree sits on a new piece of furniture, well new to me. Apparently even since I was little I asked my grandmother if I could have this stand. I was to take it with me to Japan but I was afraid it would get damaged, but I have it now! 
Their are 2 shelves inside, the bottom holds my small village and the top has a few decorations on it. My Paper Trees, 2 finds from my first visit to the Habitat ReStore, and my white bird.



And that is pretty much it for right now. I have my bookshelf half finished and my wall needs a few more things. But I will share later this week! For now, enjoy your day and see you soon!



- Brit

No comments:

Post a Comment