Thursday, December 22, 2011

12DoCc: Stained-Glass Cookies


Over the years I have seen many kinds of stained-glass cookies. I changed a few of these when I was still in elementary school for some unique cookies for a friends Christmas party. I made them almost every year after that using the hard candy my family makes around Christmas. While we were in Japan I didn't have access to that candy like previous years so I substituted with Jolly Ranchers and Life Savers. Try any hard candy though, I am sure it will work fine.

Stained-Glass Cookies


Ingredients

Any sugar or cut out cookie recipe (I use my grandmother's sandtart recipe.)
Hard candies


Preparation

1. Prepare dough for Cookies.

2. Roll dough 1/4 inch thick. Cut cookies into desired shapes and place on silicone- or cooking parchment-lined baking sheets (see notes). Use smaller floured cutters or a small, sharp knife to cut out and lift a design from the center of each cookie (such as a small star from the center of a larger star or a round), leaving at least a 1/2-inch border around cutouts.

2. Crush transparent, colored hard candies.

3. If your cookie recipe takes longer then 10 minutes to bake. Bake cookies without the candy till you have about 7-8 minutes left. Remove from over and fill cutouts with candy Bake in oven until cookies are golden and candy is melted.

4. Let cookies cool on sheets until candy is firm. Slide a thin spatula under cookies to release and transfer to racks to cool completely.



Prep and Cook Time: about 3 hours (give or take depending on your recipe)
Notes: You can store them airtight for up to 1 week.
Yield: Depends on your cookie recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment