Thursday, December 29, 2011

Frosted Glass Window Hanging: Tutorial

I really want a chalk board for my gallery wall. its such an easy tool for holiday decorating. I got the idea for this project after I saw a chalk board with "Baby it's cold outside" written on it. I had been trying to figure out what I might want to do with the windows I got and it just popped into my head. I am not sure if anything like this has been done, but enjoy!


Frosted Glass Window Hanging


You need

A window or frame
Spray Paint
Spray Adhesive
Frosted Glass Spray paint
Letter cut outs
Hanging material


First I cleaned the window as well ass I could. It had lots of dry mud and lose paint on it. My vacuum took care of that. I sanded down the frame a little, I wanted some of the wear and cracks so I didn't completely strip it.


Next I taped up the glass and used some scrap paper from moving to keep paint off the glass. I used silver to match my Christmas decorations. Now I wish I would have used a flat black or Chalkboard paint, had a little to much silver I feel. 


I had to most my window inside after painting to let it dry. It was pretty cold out and was getting ready to rain so I couldn't finish that day. But I did go and cut out my letters. You can use anything, I used my cricut and cartage "Feelin Groovy" to get a fun type of lettering. 
After my paint was dry I removed the tape and paper. Using spray adhesive I glued down my letters. Try not to use to much since it will smear and move if you mess with it. I have a small mess up in my frosted area because of a glue mishap. 


Spray your glass. I didn't bother to tape off the frame because I wanted to tone down the shine. I did coat the frame with 1 layer of a clear matte top coat. The glass spray did the rest for me. I think I did 5 layers of frost paint on my window.

I let my glass dry for a little over 24 hours. I wanted to make sure nothing was tacky and everything came off perfect. Once dry I pulled off the letters and was ecstatic with the finished window.


Add your hanging hardware and enjoy!


I wanted to make the window look like someone wrote it in the fogged glass. I didn't get the effect I wanted but I still love the outcome. I thought about it after and figured once the you sprayed the paint you could write it in the wet paint. Would have to get a good coat on there though... Maybe a paper down with some nail polish remover could give you the same effect after you applied your layers and got the frost you liked. 
I am enjoying my window how ever. I shared a picture of it with everyone this Christmas. I think my mom secretly wants to steal it. I do love it though!

Hope you enjoyed!

- Brit


I linked up at...

8 comments:

  1. soooooo cute! thanks for sharing! sending holiday hugs from your newest follower : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! I love the silvery frame and the letter font you chose. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice idea but if you use frosted glass in your bathroom its more then amazing! I swear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you’re longing for stunning doors to brighten your home, you would possibly wish to contemplate frosted glass mutually of your selections. although the glass could also be clear, marvellous lightweight still passes through, and a house packed with opaque glass doors is a awfully well-light sanctuary, with daylight flooding everyplace.

    ReplyDelete