Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Advice: Just Do.

Warning:
This post has a copy of a letter with some language that some might find distasteful. I apologize now but this is something I wanted to share. 

There is a letter written by the artist Sol Lewitt to the artist Eva Hesse that I have read before and was actually given a copy of in school. It wasn't by my art teacher but the drafting/photography teacher that my husband and I both had and he holds a special place in our hearts. There is just something about him that makes us see high school wasn't that bad. I actually had a lot of teachers through my school years that I loved. Art teachers, science teachers, photography, math, and even one english teacher. But back to the letter...

Back in March one of the people I am subscribed too on YouTube posted this video and I was to share because it hits my heart dearly.


I subscribed to Lev about 4 years back. His videos can be a little crud sometimes but they are so true and I love to watch them. When he posted this I cried. I don't know if it was hearing it read or seeing it drawn out but it put me in tears and I wanted to share it now.

The full letter if you would like to read it is here. My favorite part..
Do more. More nonsensical, more crazy, more machines, more - whatever – make them abound with nonsense. Try and tickle something inside you, your “weird humor.” You belong in the most secret part of you. Don’t worry about cool, make your own uncool. Make your own, your own world. If you fear, make it work for you – draw & paint your fear and anxiety. And stop worrying about big, deep things such as “to decide on a purpose and way of life, a consistant approach to even some impossible end or even an imagined end” You must practice being stupid, dumb, unthinking, empty. Then you will be able to DO!


Why does this hit me like it does? I am sure it hits all artist in any way, hard. I love to paint, craft, build, make jewelry  photograph, along with a big list of other things. Like I said before, may family does just about everything and so do I. But I get in these different "ruts" or "blocks" that I just can't get anything creative out. I might wan't to create and I can't or I just don't want to do anything at all. And they suck.. I know someone out there knows what I am talking about.
So when you feel that way "Just Do" scribble on paper, pull out your paints and just paint what ever comes to you head, have your kids/spouse/family/friends pitch in. Do what ever you want to do and go crazy.

I will be sharing some projects in a bit.

- Brit

No comments:

Post a Comment