Monday, July 25, 2011

Farm Show Season: Denied.

I grew up entering farms shows since I was pretty much born. Ok that is a lie, but its been since I can remember. I was probably about 3 when they (my family, mom, grandparents and aunts) started entering my flowers I helped plant and of course my "artwork." I don't think I entered any photography till I was around 6 or 7. The past 2 years are the only years I have not entered in any shows because of living in Japan. So when we came home last Oct I was excited that I would be able to do them this year! We came home the week OF our last farm show, so we didn't make it last year. ):
I don't know about other areas, but around here almost every county has a farm show and my family pretty much goes to them all. It was extra money for us, enough to get some more supplies for our crafts. There isn't anyone in my family who doesn't have a hobby. If that be crafting, painting, gardening, cooking, photography, building, ect... I can name you an aunt, uncle, or cousin who does it. So my loves come by genes maybe?
Anyway, back to farm shows! So today I heard that we are not entering at least our local farm show. The farm show that was hosted in my Jr. High and then my High School since... well ever. Its not large but its got enough departments/sections for someone at first glance to go "WHAT THE..." yea. That is something I love, going through the book and figuring out where your item goes. But money for the show has been going down over the years. Less and less people are traveling to enter, which leaves it to the locals who are getting older. Out growing or just can't do the shows anymore. This saddens me because of all this they cut the prices of the winnings and its not worth it to enter. The winnings have been cut in half meaning the department I enter the most in, Photography, first place prize will not cover the cost for prep the photos. Half of $3.50 it only $1.75 so adding up the cost.

4x6 print - .75
Matte Board - 1.00+
Hangers - about .25 

$2.00, only to make $1.75 IF you win first. Its not worth it, so our local Farm Show is going to miss out on about 15 people entering, some entering against each other in departments. That is about half of their entries going off the numbers from the last 5 years. Its sad and I don't want to skip it, even if 25 cents lost isn't much it adds up when you enter at least 35 photos. Photography and art have one of the largest prizes, next to sewing. I don't sew, I am a photo, art, jewelry, and that girl. Well I don't sew what they want for entries. :)
In all I am sorry to say so long 73rd HCFS Its been fun, maybe we will be back.



At least I still have the county fairs, maybe. Hopeful the move will not mess that up for me. >:(
Anyone else seeing the same thing in their area? Anyone else still have farm show? I would be interested to hear about them!

- Brit

No comments:

Post a Comment